Aloo chaat is one of the most popular street foods in India. It is basically made of fried or boiled potatoes with fruits, spices, and chutneys. This street food is popular in the Northern part of India especially in the streets of Delhi. This aloo chaat recipe is a spicy, tangy, and tasty street food especially served as a snack, appetizer, or lighter meal for any regular day.
Following are some of the types of aloo chaat. But definitely, there is more than that as it can be prepared with different combinations of ingredients.
Green aloo chaat
Dahi aloo chaat
Aloo papdi chaat
Chana aloo chaat
Aloo matar chaat
Aloo tikki chaat
Fruit Mixed aloo chaat
About this recipe
The recipe given here is a basic chaat recipe with boiled potatoes lightly fried in oil and then seasoned with spices, chutneys, curd, herbs, and then topped with crispy sev.
Spices used here for the perfect taste and flavors are chili, coriander, turmeric powder, chaat masala, and amchur powder. We have added some cut raw mangoes to spruce up its tangy flavor along with the tamarind chutney.
For an extra healthy version of this chaat skip shallow frying the potatoes and just add the boiled potatoes as it is. This is one of the easiest snack dish that takes few minutes to prepare and to satisfy the craving for Indian street foods.
Please find similar street food recipes below. Visit Street food and Snack recipes for more.
Street style Mushroom
Mughlai Keema Paratha
Vegetable Egg Fried Rice
Vegetable Masala Maggi Noodles
Youtube video with step by step instructions
I have also shared video instructions for this recipe below and I believe it will help you to prepare this snack quickly and easily. You could also find the Aloo Chaat Recipe in story format for a quick reference.
- 4 Potato, boiled and cubed
- ¼ cup Oil
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp Chili powder
- ¼ tsp Coriander powder
- ¼ tsp Cumin powder
- ¼ tsp Chaat masala
- 1 pinch Amachur powder
- Salt, as needed
- ¼ cup Onion, choppped
- ¼ cup Tomato
- ¼ cup Mango, chopped
- ¼ cup Curd
- 2 tsp Tamarind chutney
- ¼ cup Green chutney
- 2 tsp Coriander leaves
- ¼ cup Sev/Bhujjia
- 3 papad, for crushing
To Prepare Aloo Chaat
- In a pan with medium heat, slightly fry the boiled potatoes on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes
- Remove the potatoes from the pan
- In a large mixing bowl, add potatoes, chili, coriander, turmeric powder, chaat masala, salt, green chutney, tamarind chutney
- Add curd, a pinch of amchur powder, crushed papad, onion, mango, tomato, sev/bhujjia, and coriander leaves
- Combine all the ingredients together to coat well
- Top the aloo chaat with sev/bhujjiaa and coriander leaves
- Serve the spicy and tangy aloo chaat
- The key for a perfect aloo chaat dish is boiling the potatoes and lightly frying them in oil gives the best results to the dish.
- Basically in traditional aloo chaat, ghee is used to fry the potatoes but here in the recipe we have used canola oil and it can be replaced with any cooking oil of your choice
- Adding green and tamarind chutney gives a fresh flavor to the dish
- The same recipe can be modified by adding samosa, fresh fruits, chickpea/chana, and matar/green peas along with boiled or fried potatoes
- Replace the potatoes with sweet potatoes to make healthier version of this recipe
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 645Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 30gCholesterol 3mgSodium 562mgCarbohydrates 75gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 9gSugar 12gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 11g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know your feedback in the comment section below!