Chana masala is a dish that originated from Indian subcontinents and the main ingredient in is a variety of chana. This is also called channa, chole, or chholay masala. The recipe given below uses white chickpea and it is made in different versions from different parts of the region and the spices and level vary accordingly. This hot and spicy side dish can be served with most rice dishes, Roti, for lunch and dinner or just as a snack topped with crushed puri, onions, and cilantro/coriander leaves.
To make your life easy, I have also created a collection Indian Vegetarian Lunch Recipes in one place and I believe it will help you to plan your meal and prepare and enjoy at home. Take a peek!
- 2 cup Chickpea
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Ginger, diced
- 2 tsp Garlic, diced
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 2 Green chili, slit
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt, as needed
- 1 tsp Kasuri methi
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 4 cup Water
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
To Prepare Chickpea Masala
- Soak chickpea in hot water for about 2 hours and pressure cook it with 3 cups of water for 3 whistles
- In a pan, add oil and allow it to heat on medium flame and add cumin seeds, onion, green chili, finely chopped ginger, and garlic
- Saute the above until onion turns soft
- Now add chili, coriander, and turmeric powder and give it a nice mix
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute until it turns mushy, and splash some water on it
- Now add cooked chickpea to the above mixture and then add salt
- Add some water to adjust the consistency if needed
- Let the gravy cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the chickpea absorbs all the essence from the masala
- Now add crushed Kasuri methi leaves and mix it gently
- Switch off the stove and garnish the chickpea masala with some cilantro/coriander leaves
- Serve the warm chickpea masala with jeera rice, flatbread/naan, or chapati
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 249mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 11gSugar: 12gProtein: 12g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Chana masala is popular Indian street food in which the cooked Channah or chickpea is flavored with Indian spices and garnished with cilantro and onion.
Yes, Chana masala is a perfect plant based vegan dish.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.
More recipe: Spicy Aloo Chaat, Fried Tofu with Vegetables, Pudina/Mint Pulao