Chettinad chicken chukka is a delicious, aromatic, and spicy side dish that is authentic to South India. This chicken chukka uses sesame oil, different spices, and freshly ground pepper cumin powder which makes it a flavorful delicious side dish for any meal. This Chettinad chicken chukka is spicy, juicy, tasty side dish and served with rice, biryani, chapati, dosa, or roti.
Chicken Sukka or Kori Sukka/Kori Ajadina(Tulu) is an Indian Dish of Chicken native to the Mangalore and Udupi region. The word sukka means dry or gravy. As the word refers it has two variations in dry and gravy form. People from different parts of the region prepares this recipe based on their culture and tradition. This recipe is also prepared with goat meat which is known as Mutton Sukka/Chukka.
Mangalorean Kori sukka
Chettinad chicken chukka
Kerala style chicken chukka
Maharashtrian chicken chukka
Madurai Kari chukka
Karaikudi chicken chukka
Chicken chukka Andhra style
About this Recipe
The recipe given here is authentic to Chettinad cuisine and the taste of sesame oil, different spices, freshly ground pepper cumin powder, cashew nuts, and ghee makes it richer and aromatic. The key to achieving great flavors and aroma is from using the fresh spices in the right quantity and then roasting them to perfection. This chukka recipe is a spicy semi-dry version and can be altered to a gravy version by adjusting the water consistency. This dish is the perfect treat for non-veg food lovers and craving taste buds. And this goes very well with Pudina Rice/Pulao, Kuska Rice/Plain Biryani, Ambur Chicken Biryani, Seeraga Samba Mutton Biryani, Chicken Biryani in pressure cooker, and Arabian Chicken Mandi etc.
Please find similar recipes below. Click Chicken Recipes for more.
Chettinad Chicken Curry/Kuzhambu
Andhra Green Chilli Chicken
Chicken Ghee Roast Mangalorean Style
Looking for different chicken recipes to cook for your next meal or a party? Then you could also check this collection of Indian Chicken Dry and Semi Gravy Recipes to enjoy with your family and loved ones.
Chettinad chicken chukka video instructions
I have also shared the detailed video instructions below which I believe will help you to prepare this delicious dish at home. You could also find the Chettinad Chicken Chukka Varuval in story format for a quick reference.
- 750 gm Chicken
- ¼ cup Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Urad dhal
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 6 Cinnamon stick, small
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Cardamom
- ¼ cup Cashew nuts
- ½ cup Small onion
- 6 Dry red chili
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- 8 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp Ginger garlic paste, 1:2 (ginger : garlic)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tsp Chili powder
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Pepper Powder, 1:1 (pepper : cumin)
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- Salt, as needed
- ½ cup Water
- ¼ cup Oil
To Prepare Chettinad Chicken Chukka
- In a pan with medium heat, pour oil and add urad dhal, fennel seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamom, cashew nuts, curry leaves, and saute well
- Add onion and saute until onion turns soft
- Add crushed garlic and saute until its cooked
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute until raw aroma leaves
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, salt and mix everything well
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute until it turns mushy
- Add water and mix well
- Add the chicken pieces and combine everything well
- Close the pan with the lid and cook the chicken for 7 to 10 minutes
- Open the lid, saute and cook the chicken for another 7 to 10 minutes
- Add cumin & pepper powder and mix well
- Simmer the heat and wait until the gravy leaves oil
- Pour the ghee and mix well
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and switch off the heat
- Serve the chicken chukka with white rice, biryani, chapati, or roti
- Chettinad chicken chukka tastes best with sesame oil which gives a unique flavor to the dish but it can be also prepared with other cooking oils
- The ghee used here is an optional ingredient even though it is used in authentic chettinad chicken chukka recipe
- Use chili powder in moderate quantity since the spices, dry red chilies, pepper, cumin powder gives good heat to the dish
- To make the gravy version of the chukka, adjust the water consistency as needed
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 1318Total Fat 90gSaturated Fat 23gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 52gCholesterol 269mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 6gSugar 9gProtein 82g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know your feedback in the comment section below!