Chicken fried rice or Chinese Schezwan chicken fried rice is delicious and tasty Indo-Chinese style food that can be found in restaurants and streets. This Chinese rice uses vegetables, eggs, succulent fried chicken pieces with homemade schezwan sauce that makes it flavorful and appetizing.
This chicken egg fried rice is easy, simple, and tastes similar to a restaurant/street style fried rice. Chicken fried rice is one of the best quick meals that one could easily prepare at home. This is a simple and flavorful meal that can be served for lunch and dinner.
Chicken Fried Rice
Chicken fried rice is an easy one-pan or one-pot rice meal with a combination of chicken, eggs, and vegetable and chili sauce. Whereas Chinese schezwan chicken fried rice is a similar recipe that uses Schezwan sauce for seasoning instead of chili sauce. This is one of the most popular sauce recipes from Indo Chinese cuisine. The Indo-Chinese fried rice made with schezwan sauce is popular in the Asian Continent. It is a common food in restaurants, street food carts, and even at home.
Fried rice is one of the easiest and popular meals that has endless variations. Usually, traditional Chinese fried rice uses sesame flavor, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and chili sauce to enhance the flavor and taste. And they add chicken, beef, egg, shrimp along with other vegetables for a different flavor and taste.
There are many variations that include even fruits like pineapple, apple, and mangoes as part of the fried rice recipe. These variations are most common in Asian countries. Though it is popular Asian food it got its unique place in the food world for its special and unique taste.
In the Indian version, people use masala powders to accommodate their taste buds. To make it extra delicious they also use onion to spruce the taste and flavor. To make a vegan-friendly meal, use vegan sauces and alternate meat protein instead of chicken and other Chinese sauces.
About this recipe
The recipe I have shared here is simple yet delicious Schezwan chicken rice with eggs and vegetables. I used homemade Schezwan sauce for marination and seasoning. I hope to share the recipe for the same in the future post for you to make at home. The process of making this fried rice involves three steps marination, frying of chicken, and preparation of fried rice.
Initially, I marinated the bite-size cut boneless chicken with sauces, chili powder, pepper powder, salt, and corn starch. The corn starch helps the chicken to stay juicy. So I would recommend not to skip this step in the marination process. Then I pan-fried the chicken pieces until they all turned reddish-brown and drained them for later use.
Then in a pan with medium-high heat, I seasoned the garlic, green spring onions along with fresh veggies, and eggs. Finally, I added cold moisture-free basmati rice, schezwan sauce, soy sauce, fried chicken pieces, spring onion, and combined everything well. You could also replace schezwan sauce with chili sauce if it is not handy. And the recipe still tastes great too.
This fried rice can be made without eggs, and chicken to make a Vegetable Fried Rice. But feel free to make your own variations by mix and matching available veggies, proteins, seafood, and meat. So long as the main fried rice ingredients do not change, the variation of the recipes should taste good. So, enjoy the exploration of new flavors and tastes of Indo-Chinese fried rice.
Tips for best Chicken Fried Rice
Usually, a fried rice recipe uses cold cooked rice which gives the best results for restaurants like Chinese fried rice. The cold rice does not turn mushy or clumpy when it is fried. So I highly suggest preparing rice ahead if you are planning to make fried rice for lunch or dinner. You could also use leftover rice that works perfectly great for this special rice dish.
In restaurants and street stalls, the large iron wok is usually preferred to make this fried rice recipe which gives a unique exotic flavor. So if you have an iron pan, Kadai, or skillet handy at home, feel free to use it. I believe you could feel the difference in the flavor and taste of the recipe. Using sesame oil, an extra handful of green onions and garlic gives a nice punch to this Indo-Chinese chicken fried rice.
This fried rice recipe is an absolute finger-licking meal that you can relish with your family and loved ones. This can be served warm as it is or tastes even better with Chilli Chicken 65, Indo-Chinese Chicken Manchurian, and Spicy Garlic Chili Chicken.
Step by step Video Instructions
I have also shared video instructions for this recipe below. And I believe these quick and easy steps will help you to make/prepare the dish at home. Also, you could find Schezwan Chicken Fried Rice Recipe in story format for a quick reference.
To Marinate Chicken
- 250 gm Boneless Chicken, bite-size
- 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Pepper Powder
- Salt, as needed
- 1 tsp Homemade Schezwan Sauce
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 2 cup Basmati Rice, cooked
- 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
- ¼ cup Spring Onion, chopped
- ¼ cup Green Beans, chopped
- ¼ cup Carrots, chopped
- ¼ cup Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup Cabbage, chopped
- Salt, as needed
- 2 Egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp Homemade Schezwan Sauce
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1 tbsp Spring Onion
- 2 tbsp Oil + for frying chicken
To Marinate Chicken
- In a glass bowl, add bite-size cut boneless chicken, ginger-garlic paste, chili powder, pepper powder, schezwan sauce, soy sauce, corn starch, and salt
- Mix until all the masala and sauces coat thoroughly on the chicken pieces and set aside to fry(we can fry the chicken immediately)
To Fry the Chicken
- In a pan with medium heat, pour oil and add the marinated chicken pieces one by one
- Allow the chicken to fry until it turns a golden color on both sides. Make sure to flip the chicken pieces on and off
- Drain the pan-fried chicken from the oil, and reserve them for later use
To Prepare Chicken Fried Rice
- In a pan with medium heat, pour 2 tbsp of oil and add garlic, spring onion, and saute until it turns aromatic. Make sure not to burn the garlic which may alter the flavor of the fried rice
- Add green beans, carrots, green bell pepper, cabbage, salt, and stir fry them for 2 minutes
- Now make a space in the middle of the pan by pushing the veggies outwards and add the beaten frothy eggs
- Scramble the eggs until it turns soft and fluffy
- Add the cooked basmati rice, schezwan sauce, soy sauce, pepper powder, spring onion, and fried chicken
- Mix everything gently. Now the delicious chicken fried rice is ready for you to taste and enjoy
- Serve the warm chicken fried rice with any veg, nonveg dry dishes or just with ketchup
- I have added corn starch to the chicken while marinating, which helps the chicken pieces to stay juicy and succulent
- Make sure not to overcook or burn the garlic which may alter the flavor of the fried rice
- Sauteing veggies too long will not give a crunchy output, so try to saute until they are half cooked to maintain the crunchiness
- I have used homemade schezwan sauce and soya sauce in the recipe, but it can also be skipped or replaced with chili sauce, sriracha sauce to get a different flavor to the dish
- This dish was prepared with Basmati rice but it can also be replaced with jasmine rice and day-old leftover plain white rice that works best for chicken fried rice
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 537Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 225mgSodium 1027mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 40g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Frequently asked questions
Chicken fried rice is a wholesome Chinese meal made with cooked rice, vegetables, eggs, chicken, and sauces.
Schezwan fried rice is made with rice, veggies, meat, or seafood seasoned with Schezwan sauce. Schezwan sauce is made with garlic, onion, Sichuan peppers, and dry red chili paste.
Though the recipe uses healthy ingredients like fresh veggies and eggs, it also uses sauces and extra oil for frying. Hence, this is not considered to be healthy food. So consuming it in moderate quantity is the key to good health.
It is preferred to use sesame oil for this recipe as it adds a unique taste to the dish. But you can replace sesame oil with other cooking oil as well.
You could replace Schezwan sauce with red chili sauce.
Skip eggs and chicken from this recipe to make vegetable fried rice.
Just skip the chicken from this recipe to make egg fried rice.
Not really. Please feel free to skip it if you don't like eggs to be part of this dish. The taste should still be good.
I really hope you enjoyed the recipe that I have shared here and I would love to hear from you on how it turned out for you. Please let me know.
If you have any other questions, feel free to post them in the comment section below and I will try to get back to you as soon as This possible.