Coconut Cookies are a tasty, crunchy, and simple savory snack recipe that can be made with and without an oven. These cookies/biscuits are popular around the world. These quick and easy Coconut cookies are made with minimal ingredients like coconut flakes, flour, sugar, and butter. These cookies are tasty, crispy, and a flavor-filled dish that can be easily made without an oven at home. Coconut cookies are a great treat for all sweet lovers. It tastes best with a cup of milk, tea, or coffee.
What are Coconut Cookies?
Coconut cookies are an appetizing one-bowl snack dish in which coconut flakes, flour, egg, milk, baking powder, butter, and sugar are used to make a dough. The dough is shaped and then baked at a high temperature to crispy cookies. It is a popular snack all around the world.
This coconut cookie was introduced by western countries during their colonial times in India. And these cookies are easily found in all bakeries to small tea shops as a common snack. Though this coconut biscuit recipe is made with the oven in bakeries, it can also be easily made without an oven at home using a pan.
Coconut cookies are a common and popular snack that has a lot of variations. Usually, these cookies are made with dried coconut flakes, eggs, flour, milk, butter, sugar, and baking powder. Though the egg is the main ingredient in bakery-style cookies, it can also be skipped to make eggless coconut cookies.
To make this coconut cookie extra flavorful, people would add nuts like almonds, pistachio, oatmeal, and pecan to the recipe. The cookies are dipped in melted chocolate or coconut glaze for a more rich and unique flavor in other variations. Cardamom powder can also be added to the recipe to enhance the cookies' taste and replace the chocolates.
Traditionally, these coconut cookies are made with all-purpose flour, but they can also be made with whole wheat flour to make them healthier. To enjoy the vegan-friendly version of this recipe, the butter can be replaced with vegan butter or coconut oil and milk with coconut milk.
How to make Coconut Cookies?
The recipe I have shared here is the eggless coconut cookies using the oven and without an oven.
I used store brought coconut flakes, all-purpose flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, and cardamom powder for this recipe. Initially, I have creamed the butter and sugar until it's fluffy.
Creaming the butter and sugar to the right consistency is the key to get crispy out and chewy inside cookies.
Then I added the remaining ingredients to make a soft dough. Generally, it is not required to knead the dough to make cookies. Instead, it is just enough to gently combine them with hands.
To compensate for the raw smell of the egg, bakeries use vanilla essence as part of the recipe. But since the eggs are not used in this recipe, I have skipped the vanilla essence as well.
I used cardamom powder to enhance the flavor and aroma of the cookies. But you could totally skip it if it is not handy.
Later I divided the dough into equal small round flat shapes and coated each of them with coconut flakes. This give us a crunchy coconut cookies once it is baked.
Coconut Cookies with Oven
Place the shaped coconut cookie dough in an oil greased baking tray and bake it in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 12 to 15 minutes or until it turns golden in color. Once it is baked, the cookies should be ready for you to taste and enjoy.
Coconut Cookies without Oven
Coconut cookies without an oven are also simple but it takes a bit more time comparatively. But both the method delivers the same result and taste and you would hardly find any difference. So it is worth trying if we do not have an oven at home. It tastes great similar to bakery cookies that are usually sold in shops.
To make this version, we have to place a stand inside the pan or Kadai and preheat it with the lid closed in medium heat for about 10 minutes. Once it is hot, place the shaped cookie dough on a plate and keep it inside the pan. Now bake them for about 30 to 40 minutes in the same medium heat or until it turns golden in color.
This coconut cookie recipe would produce 12 medium-sized cookies but feel free to adjust the ingredients to get the required quantity for your family.
Though I used store brought coconut flakes to make these coconut cookies, you could also use freshly grated coconut. But I highly recommend to roast it in a pan on medium flame before adding it to the recipe. Since fresh coconut may have a lot of water content, the cookies will not be crunchy if it is not roasted.
This coconut cookie recipe is a great after-school quick snack for kids and even for adults. Serve these with a cup of milk, tea, or coffee. You could also check for the Custard Powder Cookies recipe which is also easy and simple to make without much effort.
Please find similar recipes below and more in Baking Recipes.
Coconut cookies recipe video
I have shared quick and easy instructions to make the coconut cookies with and without an oven in the video below. And I believe this will help you to prepare this delicious snack at home and enjoy it. You could also find the recipe in story format for a quick reference.
- 1 cup + ½ cup Coconut Flakes, dry
- 1 ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 3 tbsp Milk
To Prepare Coconut Cookies
- In a glass bowl, add butter, and sugar, and cream them using a whisker or electric hand mixer until it turns fluffy and pale in color
- Now add all-purpose flour, 1 cup of coconut flakes, baking powder, and cardamom powder
- Combine all the ingredients gently without kneading
- Add milk gradually to form a soft dough
- Now take a small portion of the dough and shape it into a circular flat shape. It doesn't need to be a perfectly circular shape, so ease yourself while shaping the dough
- Now coat the shaped cookie dough with the remaining coconut flakes
- Place the shaped cookie dough in a greased plate or baking tray 2 inches apart. This helps to give room to expand the dough while it is baked
To Bake in oven
- Place the baking tray in the preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for about 12 to 15 minutes or until the cookies turns golden in color
- Once the cookies are done, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool down completely
To Bake in the Kadai/Pan
- Place the stand inside Kadai/pan and heat it in medium flame for about 10 minutes with the lids closed
- Remove the lid, place the plate filled with shaped cookie dough inside the Kadai or pan
- Close the lid and bake the cookies for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the coconut cookies turns golden in color
- Remove the cookies from the Kadai and allow them to cool down completely
- Serve the delicious Crunchy Coconut Cookies as it is or with a cup of milk, tea or coffee
- The key to getting a perfect crunchy coconut cookie is to use dry coconut flakes or desiccated coconut. So please use it appropriately
- Always cream the butter and sugar until it turns smooth and pale. This helps to achieve crispy cookies
- I have used store brought dry unsweetened coconut flakes, but it can also be replaced with freshly grated coconuts. But make sure to dry roast it in a pan before adding them into the recipe
- I have used granulated sugar here, but feel free to use powdered sugar which makes the creaming process a little easier
- Coating the shaped cookie dough with coconut flakes gives a perfect crunchy outer layer after its baked
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 276Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 41mgSodium 175mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 2g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Coconut cookies are made with dry coconut flakes or desiccated coconut which is mixed with flour, butter, eggs, milk, and baking powder to a soft dough. Then it is shaped and baked at a certain temperature to make it a crispy cookie.
Eggless coconut cookie is similar to regular coconut cookies but the only difference is the eggs are skipped in the recipe.
Yes, you could bake it in pan/kadai/pressure cooker without using an oven.
You could replace butter with vegan butter or coconut oil and milk with coconut milk to enjoy the vegan friendly version of this recipe.
Yes, but I highly recommend to roast it in a pan on medium flame before adding it to the recipe. Since fresh coconut may have a lot of water content, the cookies will not be crunchy if it is not roasted.
I really hope you enjoyed the recipe that I have shared here and I would love to hear from you on how it turned out for you. Please let me know.
If you have any other questions, feel free to post them in the comment section below and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.