Cauliflower fry/Gobi 65 is a delicious, flavor-filled starter dish originated from the Indian subcontinent. This dish is widely served in most of the restaurants and also by the street food vendors in the region. The original traditional recipe is made with chicken marinated with flour, different spices, herbs, and then deep-fried.
The recipe given below is similar to the original recipe but instead with cauliflower as the main ingredient. This is a crispy, crunchy, tasty, and lip-smacking snack/starter that can be served as an entrée for a meal or for tea time.
Please find similar recipes below. Visit Snack and Street Food recipes for more.
Mughlai Keema Paratha
Medu Vada / Ulundu Vadai
To make your life easy, I have also created a collection Indian Vegetarian Lunch Recipes at one place and I believe it will help you to plan your meal, prepare and enjoy at home. Take a peek!
Cauliflower fry/65 video instructions
I have also share the detailed video instructions of this recipe below which I believe will help you to prepare and enjoy this snack at home. You could also find the Cauliflower fry / Gobi 65 Recipe in story format for a quick reference.
- 2 cup Cauliflower, florets (cut into medium size)
- ¾ tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp Cornflour
- ¼ tsp Rice flour
- 1 tsp Curd
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Salt, adjust as needed
- Oil for frying
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- 2 cup Hot water
To Prepare Cauliflower fry
- In a bowl soak cauliflower florets in hot water with a pinch of turmeric in it for about 15 minutes and drain it
- Marinate the cauliflower with chili, coriander, turmeric, pepper powder, ginger-garlic paste, curd, lemon juice, and salt and rest it for 5 minutes
- Add corn and rice flour to the above mixture and combine everything well
- In a pan with medium heat, add oil, curry leaves and deep fry the marinated cauliflower florets until it turns crisp and golden brown in color
- Remove from the cauliflower and drain it
- Serve the hot crispy cauliflower fry/gobi 65 with hot tea/coffee or as an entree
- The recipe given here is a homestyle 65 and no sauces and ketchup are used here. If you would like to try the restaurant style 65 recipe, then soy and chili sauce can be included while marinating and tempering
- Chopping the cauliflower florets into small to medium size gives crispy and crunchy 65 compared to large sized florets
- Soaking the florets in hot water and blanching them prevents it from yellowing or browning and developing a bitter flavor due to an overabundance of sun exposure
- Marinating and resting them for about 15 minutes gives the best flavor of the seasonings and spices
- Frying the florets in medium heat delivers evenly cooked and crispy cauliflower 65
- This dish can be either deep fried or pan fried, both gives the same results
- We have not tempered the dish after it is deep fried. It can also be tempered with onion, cumin, ginger and garlic
- This can be best accompanied with a cup of tea or coffee or just as a starter for any meal
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 76Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 262mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 2g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Frequently asked questions
It is a popular Indian starter or snack dish, in which the marinated cauliflower or gobi is deep-fried to a golden brown color and served with onion slices and lemon wedges.
Soaking the florets in hot water and blanching them prevents it from yellowing or browning and developing a bitter flavor due to an overabundance of sun exposure.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.