Egg fried rice is a quick and simple, nutritious, flavor-filled Chinese food that can be prepared in under 30 minutes. This egg-fried rice is popular all around the world due to its taste and simple making process. The fried rice in this recipe is prepared with basmati rice, fresh veggies, eggs, and sauces. It tastes great with chicken dishes and can be served for lunch, or dinner.
What is Egg Fried Rice?
Egg fried is a dish of cooked rice that is stir-fried in a wok or in a pan. Usually with freshly chopped veggies, eggs, and pre-cooked rice are stirred together with sauces in medium-high heat. Fried rice recipes have their origin from Asian continents, especially from China and it is unique for its flavor and taste.
Though China is the origin of the dish, it is still widely popular in India, America, and mostly all around the world. This popular fried rice is usually sold by street food vendors, small restaurants, and in food carts on busy streets and in residential areas, this can also be prepared with the leftover rice at home.
About this Egg Fried Rice
The recipe given here is made with Chinese sauces and Indian garam masala which is unique and spruces up the taste of this delicious fried rice. Even though this version is slightly different from the Vegetable Fried Rice, the taste of this dish with masala is worth trying at home.
This fried rice is widely popular in India and I have tried to recreate the same recipe here with fresh and healthy veggies, eggs, and traditional Chinese sauce like chili and Schezwan Sauce. The taste and flavor of this dish hold great when you could enjoy the dish warm. So, yeah be sure to taste it as soon as it is cooked.
Though I have used eggs and sauces, you could skip it for the vegan version of the dish. The best part of this simple meal is, it could be done in under 30 minutes if you have a bowl of pre-cooked or leftover rice at home.
How to make perfect Egg Fried Rice?
The key to getting perfect fried rice mainly involves the selection of rice and cooking it without any moisture left out. Even though this dish can be prepared with freshly cooked rice, it may not taste great due to the moisture the rice may have at that time. So, it is always good to use day-old cooked rice or rice without moisture to get the best out of this recipe.
Traditional fried rice is made with jasmine rice or any long grain rice which do not stick together. I have prepared this dish with basmati rice which gives a perfect non-sticky restaurant-style texture, flavor, and taste.
To be honest, this fried rice doesn't really need any side dishes and tastes great on its own. But serving this along with the dry dishes like Chicken Manchurian, Garlic chicken, Dragon Chicken, Chicken Lollipop, or Stir-fried vegetables will make it even better and tastier.
To make your life easy, I have also created a collection of Indo-Chinese Recipes at one place for both vegetarian and nonvegetarian lovers and I believe it will help you explore and try different recipes at home. Take a peek!
Egg Fried Rice recipe Video
Below I have also shared a video of this Egg fried rice and I believe these quick and easy steps will help you to prepare/make this dish at home. You could also find the recipe in story format for a quick reference.
- 3 cup Cooked Basmati Rice
- ¼ cup Oil
- 2 tsp Garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Onion, thinly chopped
- ¼ cup Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Green Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Carrots, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 Egg, beaten
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tsp Garam Masala or sub with Szechuan Sauce
- Salt, as needed
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- Spring Onions, to garnish
To prepare Vegetable Egg Fried Rice | Veggie Rice | Street Style
- In a pan with medium heat, pour oil and add the finely chopped garlic and saute until it turns aromatic. Make sure not to burn the garlic which may alter the flavor of the fried rice
- Now add the thinly chopped onion and saute until it turns soft
- Next add red and green bell pepper, carrots and saute for about 1 minute
- Add finely sliced cabbage to the above mixture and give a quick stir. Since cabbage would leave the water immediately, we haven't added it along with other veggies to maintain the crunchiness of the cabbage
- Now make a space in the middle of the pan by pushing the veggies outwards and add the beaten frothy eggs
- Scramble the eggs until it turns soft and fluffy. Before adding to the pan, the eggs are beaten to frothy to give a nice moist and fluffy egg scramble
- Add garam masala, ketchup, soy sauce and combine everything well
- Now add salt and mix everything well
- Add the cooked basmati rice, pepper powder and mix everything gently
- Add the chopped spring onions and give it a gentle toss
- Now the delicious vegetable egg fried rice is ready for you to taste and enjoy
- Serve the warm vegetable egg fried rice with spicy chicken, veggie dry dishes, or just with ketchup
- Make sure not to overcook or burn the garlic which may alter the flavor of the fried rice
- Sauteing veggies too long will not give a crunchy output, so try to saute until they are half cooked to maintain the crunchiness
- Since cabbage would leave the water immediately, we haven't added it along with other veggies to maintain the crunchiness of the cabbage
- Here in this recipe, we have used soya sauce and ketchup, but it can also be skipped or replaced with Schezwan sauce, Sriracha sauce to get a different flavor to the dish
- This dish was prepared with Basmati rice but it can also be replaced with jasmine rice and day-old leftover plain white rice that works best for fried rice
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 507Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 248mgSodium 548mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 14g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Egg fried rice is a wholesome Chinese meal made with cooked rice stirred with vegetables, eggs, seafood, and/or meat.
Veggie rice is a blend of onions, garlic, vegetables, chopped bell peppers which are stirred with sauces and seasoned with oil. This is also called vegetable fried rice.
Most of the traditional fried recipes contains full of fat and calories. If you are looking for healthier options, then fried rice with brown rice, quinoa, and a minimal amount of oil, sauce for seasoning can be used. Always moderation is the key to any dishes.
Precooked nonsticky long-grain rice filled with the flavors of garlic, fresh veggies, eggs, sauces gives the best taste to the fried rice.
Yes, cold rice usually has less moisture which is firm and separates easily when fried in a wok or pan. Usually, freshly cooked hot or warm rice will have a lot of moisture in it which tends to turn mushy while frying.
Long grain basmati or jasmine rice are good for fried rice.
Cook the veggies until it turns tender yet crunchy. Make sure not to overcook them.
Beating the eggs until it turns frothy before adding it to the pan delivers fluffy egg scrambles which would add a good texture and taste to the fried rice as a whole.
I really hope you enjoyed the recipe and let me know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
More recipe: Pudina Rice