Matar Pulao or Peas Pulao is a simple and tasty Indian one-pot rice meal. This delicious Matar pulao rice is prepared with basmati rice, a few Indian spices, masala, and herbs. And it just takes under 30 minutes to make the dish. This Matar Pulao is a perfect easy meal for lunch and dinner, and also as a lunch box recipe for kids and adults.
What is Matar Pulao?
Matar Pulao is a simple yet delicious one-pot healthy dish. Matar means"Peas" in Hindi and Pulao means rice with a combination of veggies and spices.
Usually, this Matar pulao recipe is prepared with fresh or frozen green peas that make the dish tasty, healthy, and colorful. It is an easy vegetarian meal that requires less chopping or cutting. We can also convert this to a Vegan-friendly dish by just skipping ghee in the dish. This simple Matar/Peas Pulao is a beginner-friendly dish as it has no lengthy process involved and it could be prepared in a pressure/rice cooker or instant pot at home. And to make a vegan-friendly Matar paneer, feel free to replace ghee with oil.
About this Matar Pulao
The recipe I have shared here is basic Matar/ Peas Pulao with the masala version. I used a pressure/rice cooker to make this pulao which can also be done in an instant pot as well. I have used basmati rice here to achieve a long fluffy texture like Vegetable Biryani but this dish works perfectly well for sona masoori and other non-sticky kinds of rice too.
Initially, in a pressure/rice cooker with medium heat, I added ghee, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, and fennel seeds and allowed it to turn aromatic. Then I added onions and green chili and sautéed well until it turned soft.
After that, added ginger garlic paste and mixed well until the raw aroma has left. And then I added chili powder, coriander powder, salt and gave a nice mix. Even though adding spice powders are optional in the classic Matar/Peas Pulao recipe, it makes the dish even more flavorful. Give it a try and I am sure you will not regret it.
After adding spice powders, I added mint leaves and sautéed until it turned aromatic. Then added the green peas and gave a quick sauté. Later, I added the basmati rice and mixed everything well. And then added water and closed the lid and pressure cooked it to 2 whistles.
Usually, I like my Matar Pulao to be soft, fluffy long-grain without turning mushy. But if you want your rice to be Al dente, then you could go for 1 whistle. I naturally allowed the pressure to release and opened the lid and gently fluffed the rice.
Instant Pot Method
Preparation of Peas Pulao in the instant pot is one of the easiest methods. Thanks to technology for making work much easier! For making the Peas Pulao in the instant pot, in sauté mode, sauté all the spices, onions, masala powder, and salt. Then add peas, basmati rice, water and secure the lid. In a manual setting, cook it on high pressure for 5 minutes and naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes.
To make it in a pan, follow the same procedure pressure/ rice cooker Matar Pulao and the only difference is to allow the rice to cook 70 % in medium heat and close the pan with the lid and cook in low heat for 15 minutes. Following this way you could achieve a similar fluffy, long-grain Peas Pulao.
Matar Pulao is one of the easiest dishes that have different variations across the Indian subcontinent. People across India have their own way of making this dish. It is gluten-free, hence it is healthy, and a perfect light meal for easy digestion.
Usually, the traditional Matar Pulao is prepared with green peas, basmati rice, Indian spices, onions, ginger-garlic paste, green chili, and herbs. In some variations, people skip onions, green chili, and just use spices, rice, and green peas. While others use combinations of veggies like carrots, potato, beans along green peas to make their meal more healthy. In certain variations, people also use coconut milk in their recipes to enhance the flavor and taste.
This Matar Pulao is a delicious and aromatic one-pot meal that could be a keeper for any busy day. It also goes perfectly great for lunch boxes for kids and adults. And I believe you will try and enjoy this dish with your family and loved ones.
You could also find similar recipes below and more at Rice Recipes
- Biryani Rice
- Pudina Rice
- Vegetable Biryani
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- Mushroom Biryani
- Spanish Rice( Mexican Rice)
To make your life easy, I have also created a collection of Biryani Recipes and Indian Vegetarian Lunch Recipes in one place for both vegetarian and nonvegetarian lovers and I believe it will help you to plan your meal at home. Take a peek!
Matar Pulao recipe video
I have also shared the video instructions for this Matar Pulao recipe below. And I believe these quick steps will help you to make this dish easily at home. For a quick reference, you could also find the this in story format.
Matar Pulao (Peas Pulao)
- ¾ cup Rice, basmati, soaked 15 minutes
- ¼ cup Green Peas
- ¼ cup Ghee
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt, as needed
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 Cinnamon Stick, small
- 2 Star Anise
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Cardamom
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 3 Green Chili, slited
- ¼ cup Mint Leaves
- 1½ cup Water
To Prepare Peas Pulao | Matar Pulao
- In a pressure cooker with medium heat, pour ghee and add bay leaves, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, cardamom, fennel seeds, and saute until it turns aromatic
- Add onions, green chili, and saute until onions turn soft and caramelises
- Now add ginger garlic paste and give a nice mix until the raw aroma leaves
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, salt, and mix well
- Now add the mint leaves and saute until the mint leaves turn aromatic
- Add green peas or matar to the above mixture. Mix and cook for 2 to 3 minutes
- Now add the soaked basmati rice and mix everything gently
- Pour the water and give a final mix
- Close the lid of the pressure/rice cooker with the regulator on and cook for two whistles. Switch off the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally
- Open the lid and fluff gently. Now the delicious Peas Pulao/Matar Pulao is ready for you to taste and enjoy
- Serve the delicious Peas Pulao/Matar Pulao with raita, pappad, veg, or non-veg curries
- I have used basmati rice which gives a nice aroma and fluffy long grain. But it can be replaced with sona masoori or any non-sticky rice that works well for this recipe
- The whole spices added here are the key ingredients for aromatic peas pulao, so I recommend you not to skip this step
- Though the chili and coriander powder used here is optional, it delivers good color and taste to the dish. So you could try if you want to
- To enjoy a vegan-friendly peas/matar pulao, just replace the ghee with oil
- I have used a pressure/rice cooker to make this dish but it can also be made in a wide bottom pan and in an instant pot
Matar Pulao is a simple yet delicious one-pot healthy dish. Matar means "Peas" in Hindi and Pulao means rice with a combination of veggies and spices. This Matar pulao is usually made with fresh green peas, basmati rice, Indian spices, and herbs and prepared in a pressure/rice cooker, pan, or instant pot.
Basmati rice is great for Pulao but rice like sona masoori and regular non-sticky rice also work well for this dish.
Personally, I use the rice water ratio of 1:1½ for basmati rice. And it works best with any aged version of the rice.
The recipe I have shared is Masala Matar Pulao, follow the same instruction to enjoy the spicy version.
For the regular matar pulao recipe, you could follow the same process but just skip adding chili and coriander powders.
To enjoy Vegan-friendly Matar Pulao, skip the ghee and use oil instead.
I really hope you enjoyed the recipe that I have shared here and I would love to hear from you on how it turned out for you. Please let me know.
If you have any other questions, feel free to post them in the comment section below and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.