Ragi balls/Ragi kali is a healthy and wholesome meal prepared widely in the southern regions of India. Ragi flour/finger millet is the main ingredient for this dish which is great for weight loss and substitute for high carbohydrate foods. This dish is also called as mudde, sangati, dhindo in some parts of the Indian region. The recipe given below is similar to the traditional dish but slightly modified the procedure to simplify the cooking for beginners. This ragi balls is a tasty, melt in mouth and nutritious meal that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Find similar breakfast/dinner recipes below. Visit Breakfast recipes for more.
- Ragi Kanji/Porridge
- Ven Pongal in Pressure Cooker
- Vegetable Semiya / Vermicelli Upma
- South Indian Rava Upma
Looking for easy and healthy breakfast recipes to kick start your busy mornings? Then you could also check this collection of Indian Vegetarian Breakfast Recipes and Indian Vegetarian Lunch Recipes to enjoy with your family and loved ones.
- 1 cup Ragi, or Finger millet flour
- 2½ cup Water
- 3 tbsp Cooked white rice
- ½ tsp Salt, adjust as needed
To Prepare Ragi Balls
- Dilute sieved ragi flour, salt with water in a saucepan and cook it on medium flame by stirring continuously
- After 6 to 8 minutes the mixture starts to thicken. At this stage add the cooked rice into it and combine thoroughly without forming any lumps
- Simmer the flame to low and close the pan with lid, cook the ragi mix for about 10 minutes or until it turns glossy
- Switch off the flame and allow it to cool down completely
- Shape the ragi mixture into medium-sized balls
- Serve the healthy ragi balls with a spicy curry or with any chutney
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 ball
Amount Per Serving Calories 189Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 398mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 5g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Frequently asked questions
Ragi kali, Mudde, balls are all same refers to the same meaning lump made of Ragi flour. It is a healthy wholesome meal, rich in fiber, and popular in the South Indian States.
Ragi is rich in fiber and lowers the cholesterol level which is good for weight loss, diabetes.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.