Rava upma is a flavorful, delicious, soft, and moist South Indian breakfast dish. This dish traditionally made of Rava cooked in boiling water that has been seasoned with oil, vegetables, and other spices. This dish is easy to make a breakfast dish that could be done in 15 minutes. Serve upma with chutney, sambhar, or sugar.
This dish is an authentic South Indian breakfast dish that is made from Rava or semolina and it is widely prepared in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, and in Andhra. Basically, the recipe is made by simmering Rava in seasoned water with spices and herbs.
This dish has different names according to the place and languages spoke in southern India(upmaavu, upittu, or uppindi). And this is a popular basic breakfast in all the restaurants of South India and South Indian homes.
Upma is of different varieties like
The key for perfectly soft and fluffy upma is 1:2 or 2.5 Rava and water ratio.
How to make Rava Upma?
The recipe given below is made by roasting Rava and then seasoned with onion, green chili, and tomatoes. This dish is spicy, tangy, and soft south Indian style upma that can be relished for breakfast and dinner. Tomato used here can be replaced with lemon juice and ghee used can be replaced with coconut oil for vegan-friendly food.
Rava Upma video instructions
I have shared the video below with simple and easy instructions to make this instant Rava/sooji upma. And I believe it will help you to prepare and enjoy the dish at home. You could also find the story format of the South Indian Style Rava Upma recipe for a quick reference.
Looking for easy breakfast recipes to kick start your busy mornings? Then you could also check this collection of Indian Vegetarian Breakfast Recipes to enjoy with your family and loved ones.
- 1 cup Rava
- ¼ cup Onion
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger, minced
- 4 Green chili, chopped
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ¾ tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Chana dhal
- ¼ cup Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Salt, as needed
To Prepare Rava Upma
- In a pan with low medium heat add Rava and dry roast until it turns aromatic and keep it aside for later use
- In the same pan with medium heat add oil, mustard, cumin, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and allow it to splutter
- Add onion, ginger, green chili and saute until the onion turns soft
- Add tomato, salt and saute until tomato turns mushy
- Add water and allow it to boil
- Add roasted Rava in batches by stir it continuously
- Combine well without forming any lumps
- Drizzle a spoon of ghee and mix well
- Close the lid with pan and simmer the heat for 2 minutes
- Open the lid and fluff the Rava upma
- Serve the delicious Rava upma with chutney or sambhar
- Always roast the Rava in low medium heat this helps the Rava to roast evenly without burning
- The key for softer and fluffier upma is to have a 1:2 or 2.5 proportion of Rava and water.
- Adding the Rava in batches makes it to cook evenly
- Skip the ghee and replace it with oil for the vegan version of the dish
- The recipe given here is a basic upma recipe with onions and tomatoes. But it can be also made extra healthy by adding vegetables, peanut and, cashew nuts which makes it's crunchy and nutty flavored
- Rava upma can be stored in refrigerated for up to 2 days and up to months in the freezer
- It can be served with chutney, sambhar, or sugar
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 324Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 11mgSodium 347mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 6gSugar 7gProtein 7g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know your feedback in the comment section below !