Prawn gravy is an authentic seafood dish from South India and it is made in different styles from different parts of the region and hence the spice level and ingredients vary accordingly. The recipe given below is a spicy semi gravy version which is also called prawn thokku. This spicy prawn gravy is juicy, tasty, and finger-licking delicious seafood that can be relished with rice, chapati, roti, idly and dosa, and main dishes alike.
Prawn Gravy / Thokku Video instructions
I have also shared a detailed video instruction of this recipe below which I believe will help you to make this delicious south Indian seafood dish easily at home. For a quick reference, you could also find the Prawn Gravy/Thokku Recipe in story format.
- 750 gm Prawn
- 250 gm Small onion, diced
- 4 Tomato, medium size, chopped
- 12 pods Garlic
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dhal
- ¾ tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt, adjust as needed
- ¼ cup Oil
- 1 spring Curry leaves, to garnish
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp Salt
- In a bowl, take the cleaned and deveined prawns, and add the ingredients mentioned in the marination list above
- Marinate the prawn and keep it aside for at least 15 minutes
To Prepare Prawn Thokku
- In a pan with medium heat, add oil, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, and urad dhal and wait until it splutters
- Add onion, garlic and saute until it becomes soft
- Now add chili, coriander, and turmeric powder, give it a nice stir
- Add sliced tomatoes and combine everything well until it turns mushy
- Now add the marinated prawns and combine everything thoroughly
- Cook the prawn in medium heat with the lid closed for about 10 minutes
- Now open the lid and simmer the stove and cook the gravy for at least 10 minutes or until the gravy leaves oil from its sides
- Switch off the heat and garnish the prawn masala gravy or thokku with some curry leaves
- Serve the warm spicy prawn masala with rice, dosa, idly, or chapati
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 568Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 528mgSodium 3621mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 5gSugar 9gProtein 61g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Frequently asked questions
Prawn thokku is a south Indian seafood dish in which the marinated prawns are cooked along with caramelized onions and tomatoes.
Yes, frozen raw prawns, frozen cooked prawns, and fresh prawns can be used for this thokku.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.
More recipe: Andhra Fish Pulusu