Chicken chinthamani is a spicy, juicy and flavorful authentic dish originated from Coimbatore in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. This is one of the ancient authentic dish of the region and it is widely prepared by the Tamil community.
About this recipe
The recipe given below is similar to the traditional one in which sesame oil is one of the key ingredient that enhances the taste of the chicken. This dish requires no chili, coriander or garam masala powder and it can be prepared in 30 minutes. The spicy pan roasted chicken will be a great treat for any non-veg food lover and can be served for lunch or dinner. And this can be best side dish for And this goes very well with Kuska Rice/Plain Biryani, Ambur Chicken Biryani, Seeraga Samba Mutton Biryani, Chicken Biryani in pressure cooker, and Prawn/Shrimp Biryani etc.
Please find similar recipes below. Visit Chicken Recipes for more.
Chettinad Chicken Chukka
Pepper Chicken Masala
Andhra Green Chilli Chicken
Mangalorean Chicken Ghee Roast
Looking for different chicken recipes to cook for your next meal or a party? Then you could also check this collection of Indian Chicken Dry and Semi Gravy Recipes to enjoy with your family and loved ones.
Chicken chinthamani video instructions
I have also share the detailed video instructions of this recipe below and I believe this will help you to prepare this dish easily at home. You could also find the Chicken Chinthamani in the story format for a quick reference.
- 500 gm Chicken, cut and cleaned
- 15 nos Dry red chili
- 1 cup Pearl onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dhal
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Oil, Sesame oil preferred
- 1 tsp Salt, adjust as needed
To Prepare Chicken Chinthamani
- In a pan with medium heat, pour oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dhal and allow it to turn fragrant
- Now add pearl onion, dry red chili, and saute until the onions turn soft
- Add ginger-garlic paste and stir until the raw aroma leaves
- Add chicken, turmeric powder, salt and incorporate everything well
- Close the pan with the lid and allow the chicken to cook for about 10 minutes
- Now remove the lid and give a quick stir and cook the chicken for another 5 to 7 minutes with the lid closed
- Simmer the heat to low, remove the lid and wait until the chicken gravy starts to leave oil from its sides or until the gravy turns thick reddish-brown in color
- Finally, add pepper powder and curry leaves, give a quick toss, and switch off the stove
- Serve the hot pan-roasted spicy chicken Chintamani with rice/chapati/dosa or jeera rice
- Chicken chinthamani is made with dry red chilies which requires no chili, coriander or garam masala powder makes the dish different from other chicken recipes
- If you would like to have lesser level of spice, you could remove the seeds from the dry red chilies before using it in the recipe
- This dish is tradionally prepared with sesame oil which reduces the heat of chicken and gives a rustic flavor to the dish. It can also be replaced with other oils like canola, vegetable, coconut, mustard and corn oil
- If you want to get a restaurant style look, 1 tsp of kashmiri chili powder can be included
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 571Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 26gCholesterol 143mgSodium 1189mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 40g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Frequently asked questions
It is a popular chicken recipe widely prepared in the region of Coimbatore. The uniqueness of this recipe is, it uses only dry red chilies for its spiciness.
Yes, sesame oil can be replaced with other cooking oil but traditional recipe uses only sesame oil for its unique flavor.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.