Vazhaipoo vadai is a savory fried snack from South India and it was popular among ancient Tamils and this snack is widely prepared in Tamilnadu and other parts of India. Different types of vadas can be described as fritters, cutlets, doughnuts, or dumplings.
About this Vazhaipoo Vadai
The recipe given below is the combination of Chana dal and vazhaipoo/banana blossom as the main ingredient which is rich in fiber is combined along with onion, green chili, coriander leaves. This enhances the taste of the dish. This vazhaipoo vadai is healthy, crispy, spicy, and high in protein that can be served as a snack with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Please find similar recipes below. Visit Snack Recipes for more.
- 2 cup Chana dal, soaked 3to 4 hours
- 1 Banana blossom, vazhaipoo, small, clean and cut
- 3 Green chili
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- Salt, as needed
- ½ cup Onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Oil, for frying
To Soak The Dal
- In a bowl soak chana dal for 3 to 4 hours
To Prepare Vazhaipoo Vadai
- Drain the soaked dal and grind it with ginger, garlic, green chili, fennel, and cumin seeds into a coarse paste(reserve 1 tsp of soaked chana dal for later use)
- Remove the dal mix from the blender and add 1 tsp of soaked chana dal, onion, coriander leaves, cut banana flower, and salt, and combine everything together
- Now take a ball size vada mix and press gently to get a flat shape and keep it aside
- In a pan heat the oil and fry the vadai in medium heat until it turns golden brown in color and remove the vadai from the oil and drain it
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the vadai
- Serve the warm Vazhaipoo vadai with a hot cup of tea or coffee
Traditionally, Vada or vadai is made of two types of dhal. One is with chana dhal and the other is with urad dhal. Vada with chana dhal is called paruppu vadai and one with urad dhal is called medu vada or ulundhu vadai.
Vazhaipoo or banana blossom is rich in dietary fiber and other vital nutrients. It is also considered a natural laxative which helps in constipation.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.