Atho is traditional street food from Burmese cuisine. The main ingredients are rice, noodle, potato, ginger, tomato, lime, long bean, and ngapi (fish paste). It is a mixture of noodles, shredded cabbage, and onions garnished with tamarind, salt, fried onions, chili flakes, and garlic and it is a popular street food served by Burmese people of origin living in Chennai. The recipe given below brings the taste of Chennai style atho and the food is simple, spicy, and can be relished as a filling meal.
To make your life easy, I have also created a collection of Indian Vegetarian Lunch Recipes, Indo-Chinese Recipes at one place and I believe it will help you to plan and enjoy your meal at home. Take a peek!
- 250 gm Veg noodles
- ½ cup Cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Boiled potatoes
- 2 tsp Tamarind extract
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Roasted gram powder
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp Fried onions
- 1 tsp Chili flakes
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves, chopped
- Salt, as needed
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Water, to cook noodles
To Prepare Atho
- In a pan add water and allow it to boil in medium heat. Once the water starts boiling, add the noodles and cook it for about 5 to 7 minutes or until it is done
- Remove the noodles from the pan and strain it. Now run some cold water to avoid sticking of noodles and keep it aside
- In a pan add 3 tbsp of oil and fry the onion and garlic in medium heat until it turns golden brown in color. Remove the fried onion and garlic and keep it aside. Keep the oil for later use
- In a bowl add cooked noodles, cabbage, carrots, boiled potatoes, fried onion and garlic, raw onion, chili powder, tamarind extract, chili flakes, roasted gram powder, and salt. Now add the fried oil from the pan and combine everything well with two spatula
- Drizzle the lemon juice to the above noodles mix and garnish with cilantro
- Serve the Indo Burmese Atho chill or warm with any spicy gravy or as it is
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 260Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 0mgSodium 220mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 6g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Atho is a noodles dish, a street style burmese food in which the noodles are tossed in garlic oil along with chili powder, tamarind juice, cabbage, and fried onions. It is a popular Burmese street food found in the streets of Chennai.
Atho can be made with chicken, egg, mutton along with preferred vegetables of individual choice.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the comment section below and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.
More Recipes: Vazhaipoo Vadai