Pepper Chicken masala is a delicious, aromatic, and traditional side dish which has its origin from South India. This dish has different variations due to the diverse culture and tradition in the region. The pepper powder, green chilly, lemon, and fresh curry leaves seasoned make this dish unique and flavorful when compared to other chicken recipes. This is the perfect comfort food for lunch or dinner. And serve it with Plain white rice, biryani, or chapati.
This is a spicy, flavorful chicken side dish that is popular in southern India. This dish varies from mild to high spice level depending on the preference of an individual. Pepper chicken masala has different versions from dry to gravy adopted from Chettinad, Karaikudi, Kongunadu, Kerala, and Andhra cuisines.
Following are some of the variations or types of pepper chicken masala recipes.
Chettinad Pepper Chicken Masala
Nadan Pepper Chicken Kerala Style
Andhra Pepper Chicken Fry
Murgh Kali Mirch
Kongu Nadu Pepper Chicken
About this Pepper chicken recipe
This chicken recipe is a combination of all the above-mentioned cuisine with fresh spices that are included to make it more flavorful. This dish does not require any roasting or grinding of spices which makes this dish easy that can be made in under 30 minutes. And this dish can be best served with Pudina Rice, Kuska Rice/Plain Biryani, Ambur Chicken Biryani, Seeraga Samba Mutton Biryani, Chicken Biryani in pressure cooker, and Prawn/Shrimp Biryani etc.
Please find similar recipes below. Click Chicken Recipes for more.
Chettinad chicken chukka
Chettinad Chicken Gravy/Curry
Andhra Green Chilli Chicken
Looking for different chicken recipes to cook for your next meal or a party? Then you could also check this collection of Indian Chicken Dry and Semi Gravy Recipes to enjoy with your family and loved ones.
Pepper Chicken Recipe video instructions
I have also shared a detailed video instruction of this recipe below which I believe will help you to make this delicious dish easily at home. For a quick reference, you could also find the Pepper Chicken/Milagu Varuval recipe in story format.
- 1 kg Chicken, cut and cleaned
- 1 cup Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 2 Black stone flower/Kalpasi, small flower
- 1 Bay leaves
- ¼ cup Oil
- 1½ tsp Chili Powder
- 3 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1 spring Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
To Prepare Pepper Chicken Masala
- In a pan with medium heat pour oil and add bay leaves, Indian black stone flower, bay leaves and give a quick saute
- Add onion and saute until it turns soft
- Add turmeric, chili, coriander powder, salt and ginger-garlic paste and combine everything well
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well
- Close the pan, and cook for five minutes or until it turns mushy
- Open the lid and add in the chicken pieces and combine well with the masala
- Close the pan with the lid and cook for 10 minutes
- Open the lid and add green chili and give a quick mix
- Cook the chicken gravy for another 5 to 7 minutes with the lid closed
- Open the lid and add pepper powder, curry leaves and combine everything well
- Cook until chicken leaves oil from the sides
- Squeeze lemon juice to the chicken masala and mix well
- Give a quick final mix for the pepper chicken
- Serve the warm pepper chicken masala with plain rice, biryani, or chapati
- Adding green chilly, curry leaves, pepper powder and lemon juice at the end gives a perfect traditional taste to the dish
- This pepper chicken can be made with coconut, sesame, and mustard oil which adds a unique flavor to the dish
- To make the gravy version of pepper chicken adjust the consistency by adding water
- To make a dry version allow the gravy to simmer at low heat to let the chicken absorb all the moisture from the gravy
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 970Total Fat 64gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 45gCholesterol 313mgSodium 312mgCarbohydrates 15gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 4gSugar 6gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 82g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Enjoy the recipe and let us know your feedback in the comment section below !