Pepper Chicken is a delicious, aromatic, and traditional side dish which has its origin in Chettinad cuisine, South India. The pepper powder, green chilly, lemon, and fresh curry leaves seasoned make this dish unique and flavorful when compared to other chicken recipes and it can be prepared in under 30 minutes. This is perfect comfort food for lunch and dinner. And it can be served with Plain white rice, biryani, or roti.
This is a spicy, flavorful chicken side dish that is popular in southern India. This dish varies from mild to high spice level depending on the preference of an individual. Pepper chicken masala has different versions from dry to gravy adopted from Chettinad, Karaikudi, Kongunadu, Kerala, and Andhra cuisines.
Following are some of the variations or types of pepper chicken recipes.
Chettinad Chicken Masala
Nadan Chicken Kerala Style
Andhra Chicken Fry
Murgh Kali Mirch
Kongu Nadu Chicken
About this Pepper Chicken
This Pepper chicken is prepared with fresh Indian spices and herbs which gives an unique taste and flavor. This dish does not require any roasting or grinding of spices which makes this dish easy that can be made in under 30 minutes. And this chicken can be best served with rice and biryani recipes.
Please find similar recipes below. Click chicken recipes for more.
Looking for different chicken recipes to cook for your next meal or a party? Then you could also check this collection of Indian Chicken Dry and Semi Gravy Recipes to enjoy with your family and loved ones.
Pepper Chicken Recipe video
I have also shared a detailed video instruction of this Pepper chicken recipe below which I believe will help you to make this delicious dish easily at home. For a quick reference, you could also find this recipe in story format.
- 2.25 lb Chicken, cut and cleaned
- 1 cup Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 2 Kalpaasi, small flower
- 1 Bay leaves
- ¼ cup Oil
- 1½ tsp Chili Powder
- 3 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
To Prepare Pepper Chicken Masala
- In a pan with medium heat pour oil and add bay leaves, Indian black stone flower, bay leaves and give a quick saute
- Add onion and saute until it turns soft
- Add turmeric, chili, coriander powder, salt and ginger-garlic paste and combine everything well
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well
- Close the pan, and cook for five minutes or until it turns mushy
- Open the lid and add in the chicken pieces and combine well with the masala
- Close the pan with the lid and cook for 10 minutes
- Open the lid and add green chili and give a quick mix
- Cook the chicken gravy for another 5 to 7 minutes with the lid closed
- Open the lid and add pepper powder, curry leaves and combine everything well
- Cook until chicken leaves oil from the sides
- Squeeze lemon juice to the chicken masala and mix well
- Give a quick final mix for the pepper chicken
- Serve the warm pepper chicken masala with plain rice, biryani, or chapati
- Adding green chilly, curry leaves, pepper powder and lemon juice at the end gives a perfect traditional taste to the dish
- This pepper chicken can be made with coconut, sesame, and mustard oil which adds a unique flavor to the dish
- To make the gravy version of pepper chicken adjust the consistency by adding water
- To make a dry version allow the gravy to simmer at low heat to let the chicken absorb all the moisture from the gravy
Enjoy the recipe and let us know your feedback in the comment section below !