Spanish Rice is an easy, fluffy, and flavor-filled authentic Mexican Rice Dish. It is traditionally prepared with long grain rice and a seasoning mix made of onion, tomato, and few spices. The recipe I have shared here explains to you how to make an authentic Spanish Rice also called Mexican Rice with easy step-by-step instructions. I have also attached a detailed video of the recipe to make the process clear and simple. This Spanish Rice tastes great with Chicken, Fish, or Vegetables for lunch or dinner.
What is Spanish(Mexican) Rice?
Spanish Rice is one of the popular and authentic dishes from Mexican Cuisine. It is usually made with long-grain white rice and a special seasoning mix. The seasoning mix is nothing but a blend of onion, garlic, tomatoes, anote, cumin, and turmeric powder. This gives an authentic taste and flavor to the dish.
Similar to many one-pot rice meals, this recipe also comes together in under 30 minutes. It is also one easy way to mix in your favorites veggies, beans, or meat. Yes, it is easy to customize as well. But here in this recipe, I kept it as simple as possible to make the process easier but without compromising the taste and flavor. I have also shared some tips to achieve perfect fluffy rice as you see in most Mexican restaurant dishes.
This rice is one of the basic dishes that you will see in burritos or burrito bowls, taco salads, or carnitas. And it tastes great with Fajitas, Enchiladas, tortilla wraps, and more. So let us see how to make this delicious Spanish Rice in the below sections.
Check out this super simple ingredient that you will need for this recipe.
- Long Grain Rice - I have used long grain basmati rice here but you can also use any other long grain rice that is handy to you
- Onion, and Garlic - These ingredients gives so much flavor and tate to your rice
- Tomatoes - I have used fresh tomatoes and you can also use canned ones
- Spices - Annatto, cumin and turmeric powder that gives a perfect spice and flavor to your dish
- Serrano Pepper - I have used it finally while simmering which gives an unique flavor to the dish
How to make Spanish(Mexican) Rice?
The recipe shared here is a basic Spanish Rice that you will find in most Mexican households and restaurants. The rice is initially roasted in oil to crisp and aromatic and then it is simmered in a tomato-based spice blend.
So let's check out the recipe with detailed step-by-step instructions below.
- Mexican Rice Seasoning Mix - In a blender, add onion, garlic, tomatoes, turmeric, anote, and cumin powder and water. Blend everything together to make a puree and reserve for later use
- Roast the Rice - In a pan with medium heat, roast the rice in oil until it turns aroamtic. It may turn to crisp and slightly pale in color. This wouldtake around 5 to 7 minutes
- Add the Seasoning Mix - Now add the seasoning mix and give a good mix
- Cook rice to 70% - Add water and allow the rice to cook for 70%
- Simmer and Slow Cook - Now simmer the heat and add sliced serrano peppers. Close the pan with lid and cook for 10 to 15 minutes
- Fluff and Serve - Open the lid and fluff the rice gently. Serve this delicious Spanish also called Mexican Rice with chopped cilantro, tomato and onion
- Alternate for Rice - Even though I have used white long grain rice, you could also use brown rice, quinao, couscous for different variation
- With Chicken - You could also make this dish with chicken, you can add roasted or shredded chicken to this rice
- Beans - Add beans to make a restaurant style Spanish Rice
- Garnish - You can also top with this rice with avocado, sour cream, or cheese
- Taste and Flavor - Anote and cumin powder gives a unique taste and flavor to this Mexican Rice, so I recommend using the same while blending the ingredients
- For Extra Flavor - I have used water to cook this rice, but you can also use chicken broth for extra flavor
- Best Rice - Long grain rice is preferred to make this dish to achieve the best results
- Fluffy Rice - Roasting the long grain rice until it turns aromatic gives non-sticky fluffy rice once it is cooked
- For Nice Color - You could also use 1 tsp of tomato paste or tomato boullion to get a rich red color to your rice
- Spice Level - Adding serrano peppers gives an authentic taste and extra spiciness to this rice but feel free to reduce the quantity to adjust the spice level
- Additional Toppings - I have topped the rice with onions, cilantro, and tomatoes and you can also use sliced avocado, sour cream, and cheese
- Vegan Friendly - This recipe is a vegan friendly dish and you can feel free to use your favorite proteins or veggies of your choice
- Best Combo - This Mexican Rice also called Spanish Rice tastes great with most grilled chicken, fish, steak, vegetables or wrap to tacos, burritos for a flavorful meal
Spanish Rice in Rice Cooker
Making this rice dish in a rice cooker is super simple and absolutely time-saving. But if you planning to make this dish in a cooker then I would suggest roasting the rice in a pan ahead. This step is very important to achieve fluffy nonsticky rice.
More importantly, wash and rinse the rice thoroughly in water before roasting it in oil. Combine rice, seasoning mix, salt, and water. Set the rice cooker and I have an option for white rice, so I clicked that button to cook.
Once the rice cooker beeps, let it rest for 5 minutes. After that, open the lid and fluffy the rice gently, and serve with your favorite toppings.
Spanish Rice in Instant Pot
Similar to the rice cooker version, the instant pot version is even simple than what you think. You can finish everything in a single pot in under 15 minutes. To make the dish,
- Saute the Rice - Set the Instant pot to saute mode and roast the rice in oil until aromatic
- Spices Mix - Add in the seasoning blend and give a quick mix
- Secure the Lid - Now switch off the instant pot and secure and seal the lid
- Cook the Rice - Set the instant pot to pressure cook mode and cook in high pressure for 3 to 4 minutes
- Release the Pressure - Once the instant pot beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes
- Fluff and Serve - Fluff gently and serve hot
Calories in Mexican Rice
This Mexican Rice prepared here contains 202 calories in a single serving and you can also find the detailed nutritional value in the recipe card below. And note that the nutritional value is just an estimation and always seek advice from professionals if you are on a strict diet.
This Spanish Rice tastes great when enjoyed immediately and leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days in an airtight container. Even though I prefer to cook my food fresh every time, this rice can be stored in the freezer as well. You can store the cooked rice in individual freezer-friendly bags and can be stored for up to 3 to 4 months. Always make sure to thaw and reheat the rice before serving.
This Mexican Rice tastes great on its own and also goes delicious with Chicken, Fish, or other Meat dishes. You can also use this rice in tacos, wrap it in burritos, or alongside enchiladas, quesadillas, or empanadas.
You can also find similar recipes below and more at Rice Recipes.
More Mexican Recipes:
Spanish Rice Recipe video
I have also shared a detailed video of this Spanish Rice Recipe that I hope will help you to make an authentic dish at home. For a quick reference, you could also find this recipe in story format.
Spanish Rice is an authentic one-pot meal popular in most Mexican restaurants and households. It is prepared with long grain rice that is simmered in a special tomato spice mixture. This rice is usually served alongside fajitas, or in burritos, enchiladas, Mexican rice bowls for lunch and dinner.
Yes, you can use brown rice to make this dish and it is healthy too.
Annatto Powder is a powder that gives a rich color to your dish and you can substitute it with paprika or beet powder.
Yes. This rice dish is low in calories and a good source of complex carbs, minerals, fiber, and vitamins. And it does require heavy oil or fat to make this dish.
I really hope you enjoyed the recipe that I have shared here and I would love to hear from you on how it turned out for you. Please let me know.
If you have any other questions, feel free to post them in the comment section below and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.